Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Update on Justin

Nate and I were able to spend about an hour or so with Justin before we left last night. He seemed to be doing well. He is down on room air, so no supplemental oxygen, but he is still on the high flow. So the cannula in his nose is still delivering air at a positive force they are just not having to add additional oxygen to that flow. As far as I know there have been no more spells of apnea so that is really good news. He got a couple of feedings in his tube yesterday and seemed to do really well after the feeds. I think he likes having some food in his tummy! Nate and I both got to hold him during his feeding last night and we had him sucking on his paci at the same time. Hopefully he will start to make the connection of being close to mommy, sucking, and getting a full tummy. If he does that should make breastfeeding somewhat easier to accomplish.

He has to be off the high flow cannula completely before he can attempt any oral feedings. If needed he can still be on a small amount of oxygen, just not the high flow. I know it sounds confusing, its a little easier if you can see him and the equipment to understand how it works. I am really hoping that he can make it home by this weekend. To do that he would need to be off the high flow oxygen by tomorrow. He then will have to show that he can eat by mouth with no respiratory distress for a full 24 hrs. The little guy has a lot of work to do in the next couple days so he can come home with us!

I made it through last night ok. It was probably one of the most difficult nights of my life. I'm just thankful that I do have a baby who will be coming home soon. I really feel for the women who had to do what I did, being wheeled out to the car with empty arms, come home and face the crib, and empty carseat, and put away the baby clothes that you had packed for the hospital but didn't get to use. And especially those women who lost the baby and don't get to count down the days until the baby is released from the hospital. I just keeping reminding myself that this is not the worst thing that could happen. We have been blessed, and will continue to be blessed. God has a plan for Justin, and I can't wait to raise him to help his discover and fulfill whatever that plan may be. Thank you all for your prayers!

No comments: